Costa Rica Oscar Tarrazu Swiss Water Process Gold Label Decaf
We have added several Decaf beans, partly because they have been selling so well and partly because our friends at Swiss Water Process keep releasing amazing coffees. This Costa Rican bean was cupped with notes of malted milk balls and marshmallow sweetness similar to a rice crispy treat. It has a smooth, creamy mouthfeel and produces an excellent cup of coffee!
|Roast Level:||Light (City)|
|Processing:||Washed (Wet Process), Swiss Water Process|
|Flavor Notes:||Malted Milk Balls, Rice Crispy Treats|
|Recommended Brew Methods:||Drip, Espresso, French Press|
|Farm:||Don Oscar Micro-Mill|
Don Oscar Micro-Mill Coffee Production:
This decaf lot comes from the Don Oscar micro-mill in the Talamanca Sierra highlands, Tarrazu. This region is already in the clouds, so to speak, the ridge you drive over on the way in peaking at 3000 meters, and dropping down to the valley floor barely cuts the altitude in half. Like most coffee produced in Costa Rica, Don Oscar employs mechanical washing to remove the cherry and fruit from the seed. With this method, no fermentation is used to remove the final layer of mucilage that can otherwise be tough to peel. Instead, the fruit and cherry are both removed at the same time with a mechanical demucilager and just a small amount of water to wash it away. This process tends to produce a nice, clean cup profile, and perhaps somewhat muted acidity (though not always). As non-decaf, this coffee was a classic example of clean Costa Rican coffees in this respect, coming back post-decaf a close proximation of the non-decaf coffee. The Swiss Water decaffeination method is a delicate process, leaving much of the volatile compounds that affect flavor and aroma intact.
In addition to whole coffee beans, we currently offer 4 different coffee grind levels. Listed below with descriptions.
Whole Bean: Unground coffee for a home grinder.
Coarse: Think sugar in the raw, maybe more coarse
Recommended for Chemex Brewer, French Press, Cold Brew
Medium: Slightly coarser than table salt
Recommended for Flat bottom brewers, Kalitta, and Cloth filters
Fine: Slightly finer than table salt
Recommended for V60 pour overs, Typical cone filter coffee pots, Aeropress.
Extra Fine: Like powdered sugar
Recommended for Espresso or Moka pot.
If at all possible, we recommend grinding at home. We prefer Baratza coffee grinders and offer several of their models for sale. Click here to shop for one of their brewers.
We roast and ship all of our coffees daily. Unlike many roasters, they pick a day for each varietal. We roast in small enough batches to guarantee that every bag of coffee that you order is roasted after you order it, usually the day after you order it. It then ships out on the next pickup. USPS usually comes each morning and FedEx each afternoon.
We believe that with this schedule your coffee will be the freshest possible every time.
Also, if you order before 6am AZ on most days, we'll be able to include it in that day's production, but depending on volume it may go out the next day. We hope as we grow, we'll still be able to meet these commitments.
Coffee Order Shipping Policy:
We've felt the impact of COVID in our carriers' shipping times more than anywhere else. What used to be 2-3 days for USPS is now more like 4-7 days. So recently we updated our shipping policy to make an upgrade to FedEx 2 day shipping as accessible as possible. That means we have the following shipping policy.
- On coffee orders of 1 bag of 6oz, 8oz, 12oz, or 16oz we charge $5 for USPS shipping (4-7 days) and $7 for FedEx 2 day shipping.
- On all coffee orders of 2 bags of more (any size) we offer FREE USPS shipping (4-7 days) and $2 for a FedEx 2 day shipping upgrade.
- On all coffee orders of 2 pounds or more we upgrade to FedEx 2 day shipping for FREE.
Brewing Equipment Shipping Policy:
- Unless otherwise noted all items are shipped the lowest priced between USPS (4-7 days) or Fedex Home Delivery (4 days).
- Shipping will cost $10.00 for orders under $50
- FedEx 2 Day is available for $20 more on most items.
- Our shipping cut-off is about 10am. Typically, if an order comes in before that time, we ship same day. Otherwise, we ship next day.
*No delivery times are guaranteed, USPS is running consistent significant delays, FedEx are about 1 day late 10-15% of the time.
- Note that FedEx does not ship to PO boxes, so if you pick FedEx and have a PO box we will ship that order USPS Priority.
- To maintain these discounts we will primarily be shipping in USPS Flat Rate Padded Envelopes or FedEx Padded Paks. We know the 'unboxing' of these are not optimal, but our goal is to get you your coffee in the best cost model possible and this is our solution.