Guatemala El Tambor Gold Label Swiss Water® Process Decaf
Once again, this Swiss Water® Process (SWP) decaf stands up to the pressures of being caffeine-free and tastes like an amazing, regular cup of goodness. This bean has a delicious chocolatey flavor with a slight citrus acidity, but still has the nuttiness you would expect from a good Guatemalan coffee. It has the perfect balance of a rich and smooth taste, with a full body and juicy mouthfeel. This bean embodies everything that we often crave from a Latin American coffee without the caffeine boost.
|Roast Level:||City Plus (Medium)|
|Processing:||Washed (Wet Process), Swiss Water® Process|
|Flavor Notes:||Almonds, Citrus, Cocoa|
|Body:||Full Body, Complex, Juicy|
|Brew Methods:||Drip, French Press, Pour Over|
|Varietal:||Red Bourbon, Caturra, Pache|
El Tambor Coffee Production:
This award winning Palencia farm was founded in 1930 as a cattle ranch and in 1966 was planted with coffee. In 1930 the Franco family bought small farms and formed El Tambor. In 2001, the Calderon family purchased El Tambor, trading it for a house closer to the coast where they had previously farmed. The climate at El Tambor has cold weather overnight from November to March, slowing maturation in the cherries to produce a characteristic sugary sweetness. El Tambor has a distinguished record in the Cup of Excellence, winning awards in 2007, 2015, 2017, and 2018. Victor Calderon is congenial and bright, a tall man with a contagious positivity and smile. Of his own farm, he says, "To control the coffee quality, we start from the seed," which is carefully chosen every year by Pablo Montezuma. From 50,000 seeds planted in the soil, 40,000 are chosen to be planted into bags, filled with soil and one year aged coffee pulp. 18,000 to 25,000 are planted, the rest is sold.
The Calderon family uses biodynamic agricultural practices, which Victor just calls "common sense". They use only organic practices, without chemicals, and spread clay to combat rust. The finca is on a migration route for butterflies, which flutter all over the area, the rich canopy of trees on the farm forming a haven for them.
In addition to whole coffee beans, we currently offer 4 different coffee grind levels. Listed below with descriptions.
Whole Bean: Unground coffee for a home grinder.
Coarse: Think sugar in the raw, maybe more coarse
Recommended for Chemex Brewer, French Press, Cold Brew
Medium: Slightly coarser than table salt
Recommended for Flat bottom brewers, Kalitta, and Cloth filters
Fine: Slightly finer than table salt
Recommended for V60 pour overs, Typical cone filter coffee pots, Aeropress.
Extra Fine: Like powdered sugar
Recommended for Espresso or Moka pot.
If at all possible, we recommend grinding at home. We prefer Baratza coffee grinders and offer several of their models for sale. Click here to shop for one of their brewers.
We roast and ship all of our coffees daily. Unlike many roasters, they pick a day for each varietal. We roast in small enough batches to guarantee that every bag of coffee that you order is roasted after you order it, usually the day after you order it. It then ships out on the next pickup. USPS usually comes each morning and FedEx each afternoon.
We believe that with this schedule your coffee will be the freshest possible every time.
Also, if you order before 6am AZ on most days, we'll be able to include it in that day's production, but depending on volume it may go out the next day. We hope as we grow, we'll still be able to meet these commitments.
Coffee Order Shipping Policy:
We've felt the impact of COVID in our carriers' shipping times more than anywhere else. What used to be 2-3 days for USPS is now more like 4-7 days. So recently we updated our shipping policy to make an upgrade to FedEx 2 day shipping as accessible as possible. That means we have the following shipping policy.
- On coffee orders of 1 bag of 6oz, 8oz, 12oz, or 16oz we charge $5 for USPS shipping (4-7 days) and $7 for FedEx 2 day shipping.
- On all coffee orders of 2 bags of more (any size) we offer FREE USPS shipping (4-7 days) and $2 for a FedEx 2 day shipping upgrade.
- On all coffee orders of 2 pounds or more we upgrade to FedEx 2 day shipping for FREE.
Brewing Equipment Shipping Policy:
- Unless otherwise noted all items are shipped the lowest priced between USPS (4-7 days) or Fedex Home Delivery (4 days).
- Shipping will cost $10.00 for orders under $50
- FedEx 2 Day is available for $20 more on most items.
- Our shipping cut-off is about 10am. Typically, if an order comes in before that time, we ship same day. Otherwise, we ship next day.
*No delivery times are guaranteed, USPS is running consistent significant delays, FedEx are about 1 day late 10-15% of the time.
- Note that FedEx does not ship to PO boxes, so if you pick FedEx and have a PO box we will ship that order USPS Priority.
- To maintain these discounts we will primarily be shipping in USPS Flat Rate Padded Envelopes or FedEx Padded Paks. We know the 'unboxing' of these are not optimal, but our goal is to get you your coffee in the best cost model possible and this is our solution.