Guatemala El Regalito
Guatemalan beans are often smooth and rich, and this coffee is no exception. It has an incredible dark chocolate-almond flavor with a subtle fruit finish. The dark chocolate and almond pairs perfectly with its creamy body and juicy honeycrisp apple vibrancy. It produces an almost syrupy cup of coffee perfect for espresso or a French press.
|Roast Level:||Dark (Full City Plus)|
|Processing:||Washed (Wet Process)|
|Flavor Notes:||Dark Chocolate, Milk, Almond|
|Recommended Brew Methods:||Drip, Espresso, French Press, Cold Brew|
|Farm:||Finca Los Angeles|
|Producer:||Arturo & Vielmann Villatoro Castillo|
|Archive Similarity:||Guatemala Los Santos|
Finca Los Angeles Coffee Production:
Finca Los Angeles is on the west side of the village of Hoja Blanca in Huehuetenango, Mexico almost visible down the valley to the northwest. Rising from 1525 to 1800 MASL, Arturo's lots exist on two sides of a sheer ridgeline. Mature Chalum, Mandarín, and Capulin trees rise at angles, providing afternoon shade for the Bourbon, Caturra, and Maragogype plants below. Pure mountain spring water is used for processing their coffees.
The land is managed by Arturo's son Vielmann Vides Villatoro Castillo, an enthusiastic farmer. For eleven years he lived in Los Angeles, and he loves to talk about his experience picking fruit there. The difference in agricultural pay affected him profoundly: he moved from California, where he'd been paid $40 per apple bin, back to Guatemala where they paid Q40 ($5) per 1 quintal (100 pounds) of coffee cherries. He decided after a decade it was time to return to Cuilco to be with his father, and to care for the farm. Soon after returning, Vielmann was married and bought more land to grow coffee. He built more drying patios and worker housing. Along with his wife and three siblings, the family looks forward to leaving the land and legacy to their beloved children to continue.
In addition to whole coffee beans, we currently offer 4 different coffee grind levels. Listed below with descriptions.
Whole Bean: Unground coffee for a home grinder.
Coarse: Think sugar in the raw, maybe more coarse
Recommended for Chemex Brewer, French Press, Cold Brew
Medium: Slightly coarser than table salt
Recommended for Flat bottom brewers, Kalitta, and Cloth filters
Fine: Slightly finer than table salt
Recommended for V60 pour overs, Typical cone filter coffee pots, Aeropress.
Extra Fine: Like powdered sugar
Recommended for Espresso or Moka pot.
If at all possible, we recommend grinding at home. We prefer Baratza coffee grinders and offer several of their models for sale. Click here to shop for one of their brewers.
We roast and ship all of our coffees daily. Unlike many roasters, they pick a day for each varietal. We roast in small enough batches to guarantee that every bag of coffee that you order is roasted after you order it, usually the day after you order it. It then ships out on the next pickup. USPS usually comes each morning and FedEx each afternoon.
We believe that with this schedule your coffee will be the freshest possible every time.
Also, if you order before 6am AZ on most days, we'll be able to include it in that day's production, but depending on volume it may go out the next day. We hope as we grow, we'll still be able to meet these commitments.
Coffee Order Shipping Policy:
We've felt the impact of COVID in our carriers' shipping times more than anywhere else. What used to be 2-3 days for USPS is now more like 4-7 days. So recently we updated our shipping policy to make an upgrade to FedEx 2 day shipping as accessible as possible. That means we have the following shipping policy.
- On coffee orders of 1 bag of 6oz, 8oz, 12oz, or 16oz we charge $5 for USPS shipping (4-7 days) and $7 for FedEx 2 day shipping.
- On all coffee orders of 2 bags of more (any size) we offer FREE USPS shipping (4-7 days) and $2 for a FedEx 2 day shipping upgrade.
- On all coffee orders of 2 pounds or more we upgrade to FedEx 2 day shipping for FREE.
Brewing Equipment Shipping Policy:
- Unless otherwise noted all items are shipped the lowest priced between USPS (4-7 days) or Fedex Home Delivery (4 days).
- Shipping will cost $10.00 for orders under $50
- FedEx 2 Day is available for $20 more on most items.
- Our shipping cut-off is about 10am. Typically, if an order comes in before that time, we ship same day. Otherwise, we ship next day.
*No delivery times are guaranteed, USPS is running consistent significant delays, FedEx are about 1 day late 10-15% of the time.
- Note that FedEx does not ship to PO boxes, so if you pick FedEx and have a PO box we will ship that order USPS Priority.
- To maintain these discounts we will primarily be shipping in USPS Flat Rate Padded Envelopes or FedEx Padded Paks. We know the 'unboxing' of these are not optimal, but our goal is to get you your coffee in the best cost model possible and this is our solution.