Costa Rica El Venado Honey Gold Label
Like many Costa Rican beans, this coffee is rich, smooth, and carries a bright acidity. This one has the typical chocolate richness you would expect, but with a deeper fruited complexity. Perhaps like a dry merlot. It brews a rich cup with a sweet and creamy mouthfeel. If you're looking for a Latin American espresso, you've come to the right place.
|Roast Level:||Full City Plus (Dark)|
|Processing:||Yellow Honey Process|
|Flavor Notes:||Rich Chocolate, Red Wine, Jam|
|Recommended Brew Methods:||Drip, Espresso, Pour Over|
|Country Region:||Grecia, Naranjo, West Valley|
|Producer:||Cerro San Luis Micromill|
Cerro San Luis Micromill Coffee Production:
The saying "don't work with your family" doesn't always apply to coffee, and some of the best producers we have met work closely with parents, children, siblings, cousins—all their close relations. Cerro San Luis Micromill in Costa Rica's West Valley is no different: The mill and its affiliated farms are run by a pair of second-generation coffee-producing sisters and their husbands. The family's farms are adjacent to one another, and the micromill they share is located at the family home not far away.
There are more than 10 different types of coffees grown on the various farms run by the sisters and their husbands, including Caturra, Bourbon and Orange Bourbon, SL-28, Cataui and Yellow Catuai, and Villa Sarchi. After the coffee cherry is harvested, it's brought to the mill for processing: Coffees here might be finished as Washed, Honey, or Natural lots.
In addition to whole coffee beans, we currently offer 4 different coffee grind levels. Listed below with descriptions.
Whole Bean: Unground coffee for a home grinder.
Coarse: Think sugar in the raw, maybe more coarse
Recommended for Chemex Brewer, French Press, Cold Brew
Medium: Slightly coarser than table salt
Recommended for Flat bottom brewers, Kalitta, and Cloth filters
Fine: Slightly finer than table salt
Recommended for V60 pour overs, Typical cone filter coffee pots, Aeropress.
Extra Fine: Like powdered sugar
Recommended for Espresso or Moka pot.
If at all possible, we recommend grinding at home. We prefer Baratza coffee grinders and offer several of their models for sale. Click here to shop for one of their brewers.
We roast and ship all of our coffees daily. Unlike many roasters, they pick a day for each varietal. We roast in small enough batches to guarantee that every bag of coffee that you order is roasted after you order it, usually the day after you order it. It then ships out on the next pickup. USPS usually comes each morning and FedEx each afternoon.
We believe that with this schedule your coffee will be the freshest possible every time.
Also, if you order before 6am AZ on most days, we'll be able to include it in that day's production, but depending on volume it may go out the next day. We hope as we grow, we'll still be able to meet these commitments.
Coffee Order Shipping Policy:
We've felt the impact of COVID in our carriers' shipping times more than anywhere else. What used to be 2-3 days for USPS is now more like 4-7 days. So recently we updated our shipping policy to make an upgrade to FedEx 2 day shipping as accessible as possible. That means we have the following shipping policy.
- On coffee orders of 1 bag of 6oz, 8oz, 12oz, or 16oz we charge $5 for USPS shipping (4-7 days) and $7 for FedEx 2 day shipping.
- On all coffee orders of 2 bags of more (any size) we offer FREE USPS shipping (4-7 days) and $2 for a FedEx 2 day shipping upgrade.
- On all coffee orders of 2 pounds or more we upgrade to FedEx 2 day shipping for FREE.
Brewing Equipment Shipping Policy:
- Unless otherwise noted all items are shipped the lowest priced between USPS (4-7 days) or Fedex Home Delivery (4 days).
- Shipping will cost $10.00 for orders under $50
- FedEx 2 Day is available for $20 more on most items.
- Our shipping cut-off is about 10am. Typically, if an order comes in before that time, we ship same day. Otherwise, we ship next day.
*No delivery times are guaranteed, USPS is running consistent significant delays, FedEx are about 1 day late 10-15% of the time.
- Note that FedEx does not ship to PO boxes, so if you pick FedEx and have a PO box we will ship that order USPS Priority.
- To maintain these discounts we will primarily be shipping in USPS Flat Rate Padded Envelopes or FedEx Padded Paks. We know the 'unboxing' of these are not optimal, but our goal is to get you your coffee in the best cost model possible and this is our solution.